Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has declared he “betrayed” his football club as he revealed a condition that contributed to his “mistake”.
Collingwood star Jordan De Goey has been handed a suspended punishment of $25,000 by his football club following his Bali nightclub video scandal.
De Goey has a history of off-field indiscretions and has been heavily criticised as footage emerged of his interaction with a female after he decided to jet overseas for a break during the bye round.
Watch Vixens vs GIANTS in The Suncorp Super Netball Preliminary Final LIVE & FREE with Kayo Freebies from 7PM AEST Saturday 25th June. Join Kayo Freebies now, no credit card required >
The footballer on Tuesday also offered an apology to the club’s fans as part of a statement released by the Magpies. He said he had “betrayed” the club’s trust.
There was another huge development in the hours following the announcement with Collingwood CEO Mark Anderson fronting the press and revealing contact talks with De Goey have been shut down until the end of the season.
It comes as the club also announced it will not be taking any disciplinary action against rising stars Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Quaynor, who on Tuesday issued formal apologies following their TikTok video scandal.
The Magpies had been criticised for failing to take action against De Goey as the scandal swirled over recent days.
On Tuesday De Goey learned his fate.
“The Collingwood Football Club strongly condemns the disrespectful conduct of player Jordan De Goey shown in footage taken in Bali where he chose to spend the mid-season bye period,” the club said in a statement.
The club announced De Goey was already involved in a counselling program with a club psychologist but stated he will undertake further behavioural education for his conduct.
The suspended $25,000 fine means De Goey will not receive any punishment if he stays out of trouble for the remainder of the 2022 season.
The announcement came just hours after De Goey’s former coach Nathan Buckley said the star should accept whatever offer the Magpies put in front of him as new reports emerged about the club’s decision to take a potential $3.2 million contract extension offer off the table.
The club said De Goey has accepted the disciplinary action.
“I unreservedly apologise to the Collingwood Football Club, its members, supporters and the wider community for my conduct in Bali and I accept full responsibility for my actions,” De Goey said.
“The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the club showed in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break overseas.
“I fully accept that as an AFL player, I have a unique leadership role in the community and with that role comes responsibility.
“My actions have fallen short of the standards expected of me as a person, as an AFL footballer and as a representative of the Collingwood Football Club.
“I had worked hard this year to establish trust and confidence in me to make better decisions and through no one’s fault but my own, I have undone that trust.”
De Goey also revealed he was recently diagnosed with ADHD and believes it is a contributing factor in the “mistake” he made.
“Late last year, I was diagnosed with ADHD and I am trying to become more aware of why I make mistakes that I do,” he said.
“I have again made a mistake – this is an ongoing journey for me – and I remain absolutely committed to changing.
“I will be seeking further support to take the appropriate and necessary steps to learn and improve as a person.
“Again, I apologise for my disrespectful conduct. I understand that I have let many people down and that I have much work to do to again rebuild trust.
“I am committed to making myself the best person I can be and I believe that the best chance I have to do that is in an environment where I have the support of my teammates and the club.”
Anderson said the club is extremely disappointed.
“We have spoken to Jordan at length, and he understands the seriousness of the situation.”
De Goey earlier issued a statement blaming the media for the storm that has erupted over his situation. He took aim at media outlets for “the relentless pursuit and persecution of athletes” to “create an uneducated, bias and ill-informed narrative that has gone too far”.
The woman alongside De Goey in the video, Remy Jackson, also spoke out in defence of the AFL star on social media on the weekend.
“Hey everyone, I can’t believe the backlash towards Jordy and myself over here in Bali. Nothing to see here,” Jackson posted on her Instagram story.
Veteran journalist Caroline Wilson reported on Footy Classified on Monday night there’s a “very good chance” De Goey won’t be at Collingwood next season.
De Goey is expected to return to the club on Wednesday for his first training session since his trip to Bali.
Originally published as Jordan De Goey fined by Collingwood, reveals secret diagnosis