Eskom is studying the fourth instalment of the Commission of Enquiry into Allegations of State Capture’s report, to identify whether there are implicated individuals still employed at the parastatal and ‘will take appropriate action as required in line with its policies’.
The presidency released the report, which deals with the Gupta family’s capture of the electricity parastatal and its key coal suppliers on Friday morning.
There are also numerous criminal cases registered with the South African Police Service over the years and disciplinary action taken against its employees implicated in the irregularities.
“Eskom has proactively set up a project team, supported by its internal and external lawyers, to ensure that the report is reviewed, understood and appropriate actions are taken to address recommendations made therein and to protect Eskom’s interests,” said the power utility in a statement.
The power giant said it had already taken steps to recover funds irregularly paid out by Eskom to various suppliers.
“In this regard, Eskom, working closely with the Special Investigating Unit, has been successful in recovering R1.1 billion from McKinsey, R1.577 billion from ABB, as well as several other significant cases.
Eskom has also initiated civil actions to recover some of the money lost to state capture, including R3.8 billion in damages.