Shane Warne dead: Sad details emerge of cricket legend’s final moments, cricket news 2022

Paramedics have revealed how they battled in vain to revive Shane Warne after friends found him unresponsive in his Thai villa.

Paramedics have revealed how they battled in vain to revive cricket legend Shane Warne after his friends found the 52-year-old unresponsive in his Thai villa.

The Australian sporting hero died soon after ordering a new suit and calling two Thai masseuses to his holiday villa, police said yesterday.

Watch Australia’s Tour of Pakistan on Kayo. Every Test, ODI and T20 Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

A television was showing the Australia vs Pakistan Test match as pals tried desperately to resuscitate him after a suspected heart attack.

Warne had suffered chest pains before leaving his homeland for the Thai island of Ko Samui for a week’s holiday with friends.

His manager also revealed the cricket great had just started a three-month break from his hectic schedule.

Paramedic Anuch Han-iam told The Sun that Warne was unresponsive by the time he and a colleague arrived at the two-storey villa at the Samujan resort at 5pm local time on Friday.

“Shane’s friends were already trying to bring him back to life,” he said.

“I took over doing CPR while we waited for an ambulance.

“They were desperate. I think one was crying. They were really stressed and panicked.

“They kept trying to wake him and I heard someone saying, ‘Come on, Shane. Come on, Shane’.

“I could see they were all shocked and I just tried to concentrate and do my best.

“There were about four or five other people in the room. All men, there were no women.

“The villa was clean and I didn’t see any beer or cigarettes inside.

“There was nothing unusual that made me think they’d been partying. I didn’t know when I arrived that it was Shane Warne. But I know who he is, he’s a star.

“I did my best for him and gave all my energy. I’m so sorry that I couldn’t help him.”

Thai cops yesterday released pictures of the room — as forensics teams continued their work at the AU$3500-a-night villa.

Fox Cricket pundit and dad-of-three Warne had earlier visited a tailor to have a suit cut, said Police chief Yuttana Sirisombat.

“He called the girl to massage. It was just massage,” he said,

“He didn’t die because of the massage. He wasn’t well.”

Colonel Sirisombat said Warne’s family had told police the star was suffering health problems before jetting off.

He explained: “He had asthma and had seen a doctor about his heart. We learned from his family that he had experienced chest pains when he was back home.”

Police confirmed no alcohol or drugs were found in the room.

Officers yesterday interviewed Warne’s friends for two hours.

They are treating the death as non-suspicious and have ruled out foul play.

There were no signs of a break-in or violent argument in the villa room. Warne’s body is due to be transferred to Surat Thani on the Thai mainland.

Authorities said it would have to test negative for Covid-19 before the autopsy which is due today.

Colonel Sirisombat said investigators were examining whether blood stains in the room were caused by attempts to revive him, or another medical issue.

He went on: “So far, no suspicious issue found from the investigations.

“However, the blood stain was seen on the floor which the friends told police was the consequence of CPR practices.

“Therefore, the investigators have to scrutinise it clearly before concluding the case and all assumptions still remain.”

Warne’s family — including his former wife Simone Callahan and their children Brooke, Summer and Jackson — were said to be in shock last night.

Warne, regarded as Test cricket’s greatest bowler with 708 wickets, had flown to Thailand on Thursday with friends including Andrew Neophitou, Gareth Edwards and John Dopere.

Mr Neophitou, executive producer on the recently-released Amazon Prime film Shane about the star, had found Warne unresponsive late on Friday afternoon.

Warne’s pal and long-time ­manager James Erskine told Fox Sports in Australia: “Neo knocked on his door because Warnie is always on time.

“He said, ‘Come on you’re going to be late’ and then realised something was wrong.

“He turned him over and gave him CPR and mouth to mouth, which lasted about 20 minutes and then the ambulance came.

“They took him to the hospital, which was about a 20-minute drive and I got a phone call about 45 minutes later saying he had been pronounced dead.”

Mr Neophitou, thought to have been staying in the next-door room, said yesterday: “We just really want to get Shane home.”

Mr Erskine said that Warne had asked for time off before working as a commentator in England this summer. He was also due to coach London Spirit his team in The Hundred competition.

Mr Erskine said: “Shane had sort of decided he was going to have three months off.

“He wanted a year off, and I said ‘There’s no way you can (do that) they would have forgotten you by a year’. So he decided to have three months off.

“And this was just the start of it, and they’d only arrived the day or night before.”

This article originally appeared on The Sun and was reproduced with permission

Originally published as ‘Come on Shane’: Sad details emerge of cricket legend’s final moments

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.